Synchronizing Gmail and Smartphone Contacts On Your Computer
Francisca joined us on WACI Mondays at Senior Planet from AARP earlier this week on November 28th. She asked about synchronizing contacts on Gmail and her smartphone. I describe the multi-step process as follows. (See notes at the bottom for icon images and explanations of my conventions.)
1) Either open up your Windows 10 search tool < magnifying glass > on your navigation bar and search for “Settings”,
or click on the < Windows 10 icon > on your navigation bar and scroll down and click on the < gear box > (settings).
2) Click on < Accounts >
3) Then click on < Email & accounts >
If your Gmail account user name already appears on the screen then your Gmail account and smartphone are already sync’d and skip to #8 below. If not:
4) Click on the < plus sign > or < Add an account >.
5) Select Google and add your Gmail username and password.
6) Review and < Allow > permissions.
7) Then click < Done >.
8) To then check for any duplicate contacts open < Contacts > while in Gmail from the Google apps menu. (You may first have to reboot Gmail.)
9) Scroll down to < Merge & fix > and check if there are duplicate names and information you might need to combine < Keep contacts up to date >.
As you can see from the image above I had three contacts to merge when I did this how-to, which I did.
Click here for instructions for MACs or iPhones and iPads.
- Click means to left-click on your mouse.
- Left-click on the word or phrase encased in the brackets < > below.
- You may have to reboot your Gmail account or smartphone to see the changes take effect.
To download a pdf with screenshots, click to access and download our Google Drive file: Sync Gmail and Smartphone Contacts Windows 10.
Interested in joining us on our next Waci Monday at Senior Planet from AARP? Details on our Calendar page: https://abncparties.com/calendar/.
Learn more about our classes and events for Boomers and senior adults for your senior center, independent senior living facility, senior group, park district or library. You may Contact us for individual training as well.